I’m so excited to share my new workstation / desk!
Living in a compact home tends to influence your thinking when it comes to decorating and furniture choices. I needed an area that could be used for working, sewing and whatever other project of the moment called for a larger surface.
- 24″ hollow core door unfinished
- 2 – Ikea Vika Furusund wooden legs
- 1 – Ikea Vika Alex drawer unit
- 1 – Ikea Signum grommet hole fitting and hole maker – to pass your computer and other electrical cables through (see picture below)
- 1 – Ikea Signum basket cable wire holder – to hold your electrical cables off of the floor neatly (see picture below)
- 10 – hollow core door anchors
- Minwax Island Water (blue) stain
- Gray paint
- Black paint (craft is OK)
- disposable gloves
- Wide paintbrush – I used a cheap one for this
- Clean rags for stain application
Use your drill and the Ikea tool that came with the Signum grommet kit to make the grommet holes. Line the outer edge of the circle tool up with both of the marks you made 2 inches in from the edges of the desktop. Gently press down as your drill cuts the hole. Continue until only the drill tip pokes out of the other side of the desk . In other words the circle cutter has not started cutting through the other side.
Follow the same procedures for the other hole. Note: this section of the door may be filled with pressed fiberboard. If so, gently press down as the cutter cuts through the door filling, again stop when the drill portion comes through the other side.
It came out fantastic and I just love love love the extra space. And the colors! I’m in the process of adding some complimentary wall storage which I’ll cover soon.
Until next time.. Wendi