It doesn’t take much to make a small home feel cluttered. I’m ready to clean up and clear out some holiday decorations which will go a long way in helping me feel organized and ready for the new year ahead. I’m a big fan of keeping it simple and following a process. Here are my top tips to organize and store holiday decorations. Following an organized simple process will help me pack up quickly and next year re-decorating for the holidays will be a breeze.
Here are my easy tips to organize and store holiday decorations that help save time and make redecorating simple.
1. Break packing and storing holiday decorations into small sessions. Today I will concentrate on the inside of our house and pack up the everything but the Christmas tree and the front door garland. My next un-decorating task will be taking down the outdoor Christmas decorations and lights.
2. Pack each “session” of un-decorating together in the same container when possible.
3. De-clutter and weed out broken items or what you won’t use again.
4. Layers using newspaper in between each one to protect and prevent damage or items from getting tangled.
5. String garland through large plastic garbage bags (like a sausage) gently fold it into a storage box.
6. Protect large wreaths with a heavy-duty plastic bag and hang in an out of the way place like a garage or attic wall. Contractor bags work great and last for years.
7. Prevent tangles in lights by putting each strand in a separate bag. Plastic bags from the grocery work well.
8. Use the same size storage container so several will stack and nestle well together. Label every box.
Organizing and packing away our holiday decorations becomes much easier when I break it down into smaller tasks. Next year when I am ready to redecorate for Christmas, I will follow the same process and tackle decorating in small steps. It’s quick, takes a lot less time, and best of all, my decorations are organized and easy to find.
Update: It’s been a year, we unpacked and decorated our tree and home in record time! What a time saver these tips to organize and store holiday decorations were!
Need more organization help? These are my top organization posts…
Love a good dose of DIY home decor, home improvement, the challenge of woodworking and creative ways to make your home look fabulous?
I’d love to share mine with you. Click here to sign up for my post emails and I’ll send a quick note when I have a new project to share.
Social media fan? Don’t be shy say hello! I love when you guys do that! I’m interactive on Facebook and I share lots of other projects and, useful inspiration for the home and content I don’t share anywhere else. Follow H2OBungalow on Facebook here
Oh heck, just follow me on all social medias. We’ll have some fun…promise:) Follow H2OBungalow on Instagram , Follow H2OBungalow on Twitter , Follow H2OBungalow on Pinterest, I’m on Periscope! @H2OBungalow
I use affiliate links in my posts. If you should make a purchase I will receive an itty bitty commission at no cost to you. Thank you in advance for supporting my blog and my two cats who believe the world revolves solely around them.