Today, I’m sharing tips for a great family beach day. My youngest son just graduated high school. We’ve had a fun and crazy few weeks with my kids, grandkids and parents visiting for the celebration. Living a few blocks from the beach makes it easy for everyone to spend plenty of time by the water, which is great because we love it too.
A little organization and planning go a long way to ensure a fun time for all. Planning a beach vacation or a family day of fun in the sun at the shore can quickly get overwhelming if your packing for a big group or don’t do it often. It’s no fun to find yourself overpaying last minute for an item at a beach tourist shop or realizing you’ve forgotten something important. I have a routine I follow for beach day packing that helps keep me organized so nothing is left behind and we can focus on having a great day at the beach and our company. I’ve become pretty good at packing beach bags since moving to the coast.
Without further ado….here’s my packing list and tips for a great family beach day that I’ve found useful.
- Bring a huge, lightweight mesh or similar type bag. Sometimes I bring two. Because there’s always more to carry to the beach than you think you have.
- Wear flip flops or water shoes. Hot sand can burn, especially for tender little feet.
- Pack lots of sun protection. broad spectrum sunscreen that is water-resistant and remember to reapply often especially after being in the water. We also use UV protection umbrellas, hats and a light cover up. UV protection swimsuits are great for the little ones too.
- Have hand sanitizer in case public restrooms don’t have soap.
- Disconnect from the electronics and enjoy the day, your surroundings and most importantly special family time.
- Activities like, cards, dice, flying a kite, beanbag toss, bubbles, making sand castles and digging for sandcrabs are fun activities that the family can enjoy together.
- A little conditioner mixed with water in a spray bottle helps keep hair in place for ponytails and hats. It’s also a terrific detangler to help brush hair after swimming in salt water.
- Wrap sandwiches individually in a paper towel or napkin and place them in a larger plastic bag. Everyone gets a napkin with their sandwich.
- Don’t feed the birds. Seagulls get aggressive and they call all of their friends over to eat. Besides..they poop every 15 minutes. Do you really want a gaggle above your head and towel?
- Pack a trash bag and a few extra ziplock bags for cell phones, wet bathing suits, etc. Be sure to take all of your trash with you when you leave.
- Baby powder is great for getting sand off of skin. Sprinkle onto sandy hands and feet, it should brush off easily. This is a must if there aren’t showers to wash feet and hands off.
There’s something about the smell of fresh air and sound of waves that instantly relaxes the soul. A day at the beach with friends or family can be loads of fun. I cherish the family time and love playing with my grandkids. I miss them already just writing this post 🙂 I hope that sharing my tips for a great family beach day helps you to organize in advance and prepare for your family beach day. It’s so much easier to relax when everyone is having a good time and that’s what family beach days are for!
Don’t miss a single creative idea I share!
Following H2OBungalow on Facebook? It’s one of my favorite places and I share lots of extra projects, inspiration for the home and content I don’t share anywhere else.
Love Instagram? Me Too! Follow H2OBungalow on Instagram and see my projects in process and lots more.
Linking up here: Between Naps on the Porch, Cedar Hill Farmhouse, Thrifty Décor Chick, https://refreshrestyle.