Even though I have a month to work on my creative space organization, I know time will fly by quickly. Today, I’m going to show you a few ways to find more storage space with DIY storage ideas. The best part is, these storage tips will work anywhere, in an office, kitchen or even for closet organization.
I’m also sharing my own plan for the 30 day challenge creative space organization. Read on to the bottom to see how I’m organizing my creative space!
Even though I’m about to start a major redo in this room I think I’ve come a long way in the last 5 years from when we downsized. Here are my favorite decluttering and organization tips I use now. I’ll use several of them again to declutter and organize my office space.
How to Declutter When You Don’t Have a Lot of Time
#1. Give yourself a set time like 30 minutes to sort clutter, set the timer on your phone or an alarm clock. Don’t allow yourself to get distracted, just dig in and keep going. Work to get as much done as possible in the allotted time. Break big jobs up into smaller, manageable chunks of time.
#2. Make 3 or 4 piles. Have a pile for each task put away, trash, donate or sell. Be prepared with boxes and bags on hand to fill. If you’re donating items, here’s a donating guideline and online donation tracker you may find handy. Put everything away as soon as it’s sorted. Carry donate items to the car, trash to the trash bin, etc.
Organizing When You Don’t Have a Lot of Space
My organization and clutter problem isn’t that we have so much stuff, it’s that our place is smallish with an awkward layout and we use every bit of living space. Add that my home is also my work zone and our sweet little place quickly becomes a tangled mess of dumped stuff, project and life.
So what I need is a good organization plan.
Can you relate? The list below is some of my go to organizing and decluttering strategies that have worked for me. Like I mentioned earlier, most of these space saving ideas will work anywhere. I’ve collected them from several projects.
More Storage Space With DIY Storage Ideas
- Upcycle an old dresser or armoire for storage. No one knows the pretty armoire I use in the living area holds my paint, or that I use two large nightstands as a sideboard for tablecloth storage. They just see pretty furniture.
- Store seasonally. Move items you use a lot during a season to an easily accessible spot on a shelf. Move items you don’t use to an out of the way shelf. Your shelves will stay neater too!
- Use bins to act as shelf dividers – Divide and conquer! Place baskets or decorative bins along shelves and use them as dividers. Keep like items together and organized. Things stay neater longer.
- Place small items like twine or buttons in glass jars and display them. Use interesting jars or mugs to hold items like paint brushes. Wrap the jar top in twine or raffia for an instant upgrade. Make a grouping of them and it becomes part of the room decor.
- Make storage part of your decor. Spruce up a thrift store find like my DIY wood trimmed filing cabinet you’ll be proud to have it on display.
- Look up for unused space. Unused wall space can be used for storage in many creative ways. You’ll find an example in my Organize a Tween and Get Rid of Clutter Keep in mind that post was done almost 5 years ago…no judging! LOL
So…on to my plan.
I realize it’s a bigger overhaul than most people want to tackle. But, I’m looking at this challenge as a way to motivate myself to create a better and more organized workspace.
My studio or creative space or whatever you want to call it is my work room, craft room and office. I work on blog posts, paint furniture and have even done power tool projects in here when the weather was unbearable outside.Basically, it’s a do everything room.
Pin and save these ideas for later!
How I’ll Organize my Workspace
I recognize that my biggest challenge in staying organized in our home is having a place to put everything and our available space is limited. So I need to focus on maximizing space and creative storage solutions.
My goal is to create an organized work area with lots of storage so all my stuff fits in here and I can get it out of the living room, linen closet and other places it doesn’t belong. I’ll also free up space around my home by organizing this area better.
Of course it has to look good too 🙂 You guys know me, I can’t do practical if it’s not pretty too 😉
My plans to organize and declutter might be a bit on the tall side and I may not get everything done in this 30 day challenge, but I will get most of it finished.
I’ve shared a few of my favorite ideas on how I plan to create more storage space with DIY storage ideas. Do you have any favorite organization and storage ideas to share? Leave me a note in comments below!