Today I’m sharing my best tips to organize and store holiday decorations. Organizing Christmas decor when you pack it away saves loads of time the next year when it’s time to put up the holiday decor
Most of the time we decorate for the holidays early. Especially as a blogger so I can get my holiday DIY projects and decor posts published early. So, a day or two after Christmas and I’m ready to organize and store my holiday decorations away.
Save space and make unpacking a lot easier next year when you follow a these tips to pack away Christmas decorations.
I use affiliate links in my posts, as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Tips to Organize and Store Holiday Decorations
It’s taken me years to get some of these holiday packing tips down to a quick science. I start packing away Christmas by packing and storing holiday decorations into small sessions.
I usually start on the inside of our house and pack up the everything but the Christmas tree and the front door garland. My next un-decorating task will be taking down the outdoor Christmas decorations and lights. Last, I tackle the Christmas tree.
- Pack each area of un-decorating together in the same container. That way they’ll all be together when unpacked next year.
- De-clutter and weed out broken items or what you won’t use again.
- Use sturdy boxes. We use the extra-large plastic containers with locking lids and smaller ones that fit inside the big ones.
- Use the same size storage containers so several crates will stack and nestle well together.
- Label the contents of each box at the end and stack them with the labels outward so they can be read.
Christmas Decoration Storage Ideas
Pack away a tree
Modern faux Christmas trees look so real and they can be pricey too! I protect our investment with a heavy duty zippered tree storage with wheels. Best of all, it’s lightweight so I can take it out and put back in the garage myself.
Ideas to store Christmas garland neatly
- String faux greenery garland through large plastic garbage bags end to end (like a sausage) and gently fold it into a storage box. Taking out intact is a breeze! This works especially well when you have lots of ornaments on your garland.
- Layers using newspaper in between each one to protect and prevent tangles.
- Plastic water or soda bottles keep bead garland tangle free.
Source Tip Junkie
Creative Christmas Ornament Storage
- Use plastic cups to store individual ornaments.
- Use egg cartons to store small and delicate Christmas balls safely.
- Use ornaments storage boxes with dividers for individual ornaments.
How to store Christmas string lights without tangling them
Try one of these ideas to store Christmas lights tangling them.
- Prevent tangles in lights by putting each strand in a separate bag. Plastic bags from the grocery work great!
- Wind string lights around extension cord holders.
- Wrap Christmas string lights around pieces of cut up heavy cardboard and line up in a large box.
Source A Real Life Housewife
How to Store a Christmas Wreath
- Protect large wreaths with a heavy-duty plastic bag and hang in an out of the way place like a garage or attic wall. Contractor bags are heavy duty and last for years.
- Store wreaths in a hard plastic or nylon zippered wreath storage bag.
Source Good Housekeeping
Save this and share wit your friends on Facebook!
Organizing and packing away our holiday decorations becomes much easier when I break it down into smaller tasks. Next year when I am ready to redecorate for Christmas, I will follow the same process and tackle decorating in small steps. It’s quick, takes a lot less time, and best of all, my decorations are organized and easy to find.
Update: It’s been a year, we unpacked and decorated our tree and home in record time! What a time saver these tips to organize and store holiday decorations were!
Need more organization help? These are my top organization posts…
Do you have a favorite tip to share for Christmas decoration packing?